With a creative career that has spanned several industries, and over 20 years (but who’s counting!), Natasha joined the Icon By Design team in September as our in-store interiors consultant. Specialising in colour, she brings a sensitivity of design to customers’ homes – taking great care to understand their personalities to create a space that accurately reflects their individuality. We sat down with her to talk more about her career trajectory, passions and inspirations.
You can find Natasha in our Moore Park store, where she resides Thursday – Monday. Pick her brain for interiors advice, consulting, or just a general chat about our products and services.
1. Describe yourself in three words.
Curious. Creative. Enthusiastic.
2. What inspires you about interiors?
Even in today’s world of mass furniture production, you never see the same room twice. Individual decorative touches will always be the point of difference. Interiors are really an extension of peoples personalities; they are all very unique.
3. How did you begin your career in interior design?
Right from a young age I have always been designing and creating. It was a natural progression to start in fashion, move into graphic and now interior design.
4. What have been your biggest achievements/milestones in your career so far?
– Working for the Sydney Olympic Games. Wow what a crazy manic but magical event to work on. Talk about creative problem solving under pressure! Working on such a world wide event will never happen again in my life time.
– 2014 – First Prize, Outstanding use of colour in an Interior environment. Colour Society Of Australia
– 2014 – Second Prize, Styling Vignette. Steve Cordony
5. What are the three most important lessons you have learned along the way?
– Treat people the way you want to be treated yourself.
– Do more listening than talking – so much more can be achieved
– Creative people have a different way of looking at the world that should be applauded, not sidelined.
6. Why Icon By Design? What impressed you most about the company?
I think there is going to be a change from the ‘cheap-n-cheerful’ disposable furniture, to something that will be a life long investment. Icon By Design offers sustainably sourced timber pieces inspired by timeless designs that will last from this generation to the next. The business model that Icon By Design offers is also a more progressive way of working for customers and the planet.
7. What does a ‘day in the life’ look like?
Morning run or yoga. Then stuck into work for the day. The evenings are filled with tinkering on a few creative projects or catching up with family and friends.
8. What do you predict for the future of interior design? Are there any trends that are on their way in, or out?
I think that in our crazy, manically busy lives, there is a need to escape from technology and relax. Creating a home that reconnects us with nature and a simpler way of life will dictate the design, style and materials used. Think of more organic pieces, timber, cotton, linen, concrete, marble, terracotta, brass, hand blown glass etc. Wabi Sabi incorporates the beauty of natural imperfections. Darker timbers are also starting to make an appearance, and we’ll see more earthy and warmer colour tones replacing the current minimal palette.
9. What is your favourite Icon By Design piece?
The Frank Plank Chair. This chair has amazing lines, even the negative spaces are elegant. This chair would work in any space. A truly classic timeless piece!
10. Lastly, where are you most likely to be found on your days off?
Preferably outside somewhere exploring… or busy creating something… or planning my next overseas holiday – Mongolia is calling me!
Follow Natasha on Instagram @natashadesigns